Welcome to my Kuala Lumpur

This is my way of sharing my discoveries, re-discoveries, memories & experiences

as well as other bits & pieces of information I have of

growing up in Kuala Lumpur.

Your comments & suggestions to make this blog your reference to all things KL would be very much appreciated.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Towards the Dataran Area

Sorry folks; I was down with a viral fever and out of action for more than 2 weeks. I'm still recuperating and may not be able have my walks as frequently as I'd wish, at least for a while yet. I do however still have some photos from my earlier walks which I want to share.

At the end of Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman and Jalan Raja Laut, facing Jalan Parlimen is a man-made cascading waterfall, one of the many undertakings by DBKL (Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur or KL City Hall) to beautify KL.

A DBKL worker is seen resting in the shade on this hot afternoon.

As usual I like to start with a little sketch of the Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) area.

The meeting of the 2 rivers the Gombak and Klang (site of the Masjid Jame' Bandaraya) is what gives KL it's name - Kuala Lumpur literally translates as muddy river estuary.

One of the first sculptures you'll notice when you cross Jalan Parlimen from the DBKL building is this Pitcher Plant water fountain.

I'm not sure of the significance of this sculpture, maybe there is no significance, it's there just to add to the overall beauty of the place. Maybe.
Next to the 'Pitcher Plants' is another circular fountain.

Across the road from the fountains, along Jalan Raja is the City Theater (Panggung Bandaraya), one of City Hall's contribution towards promoting the performing arts in KL.

We'll talk about the architecture of the building when we view the Sultan Abdul Samad Building in a later post.

I've passed this structure many times on my way to the Dataran Merdeka but never once stopped to find out what it was, until today that is.

It's a commemoration of Rotary's presence in Malaysia since 1929.

Even a time capsule has been buried here by the then KL Mayor, Y. Bhg. Tan Sri Dato' Kamaruzzaman bin Shariff on June 26, 2000.

There's a nice little shady area just behind the Rotary Commemoration Monument.

Maybe someone should warn the couple there to watch out for DBKL's "Snoop Squad". Don't want them to get into any trouble with these 'holier than thou' (they wish!) guys.




No comments: