Welcome to my Kuala Lumpur

This is my way of sharing my discoveries, re-discoveries, memories & experiences

as well as other bits & pieces of information I have of

growing up in Kuala Lumpur.

Your comments & suggestions to make this blog your reference to all things KL would be very much appreciated.

Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2009

Old Town Centre

I've been drawing rough sketch maps of the roads I'm taking you along, but I just discovered that maps are available at mapskualalumpur.com.

The maps are probably more to scale but not necessarily more accurate. (Note the 2 Jalan Tun H S Lee above. Which means that I'll continue with my sketches but maybe I'll have to relate my photos to the map and vice versa.)

SEGi College's Faculty of Nursing in Jalan Hang Lekiu.

In those days nursing was only offered at the Government hospitals. SEGi which started as Systematic College has come a long way since the 1970's to become what it is today.

An alter outside a shophouse. You don't see many of them these days.

Lin Ho's, one of the premier outlets for clothes and accessories. The clothes displayed on the mannequins at the windows were changed everyday without fail.

It's sad to see that the establishment has closed down.

One of the buildings along the road that has been rebuilt but still maintaining the original exterior.

Due to the large migrant workforce frequenting this area, there are establishments to cater to their everyday needs.

M S Ally, one of three leading Indian Muslim pharmacies in KL then.

My first job after I left school was as a sales assistant here.

The other 2 pharmacies were Naina's and Salim's who were operating in premises nearby. I don't know what became of them, they aren't around here anymore.

Some old pre-war shophouses.

More buildings.

These buildings look like they're going to be redeveloped.

I especially like this one. It's got real character and it looks like a picture for a postcard.

The barber shop was run by 2 brothers who have since retired and have probably returned to India to enjoy their twilight days.

Still more buildings.

Bangkok Bank, a landmark in the area.

An A & W outlet used to be next door and was one of my favourite meeting places in the 1980's.

A newer hotel building in the area.

Sign of the times. A Nepali restaurant at what used to be a printing press.








.

No comments: