Welcome to my Kuala Lumpur

This is my way of sharing my discoveries, re-discoveries, memories & experiences

as well as other bits & pieces of information I have of

growing up in Kuala Lumpur.

Your comments & suggestions to make this blog your reference to all things KL would be very much appreciated.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

KL KrashPad - Chow Kit Kita (Part 8) - Final Part

As I mentioned earlier, this was my first visit inside a Gurdwara.  Just like all the children, I too was interested to find out how Sikhs worship.  The priests who were taking us around were ready to oblige.
Even approaching the Guru Granth Sahib is an act of reverence.
The priest first recites some silent 'mantra' while waving a special wand over the Book.
Uncovering the Book is in itself a ritual that is done with the full honors and reverence that is due to the Guru Granth Sahib.
The priest began his recitations, while we stood around in apt attention listening.  The language was foreign, but being mostly Muslims (who are used to the Quran being recited in Arabic) it wasn't wholly strange.
(In case you're wondering, I did have permission to take the above close-up shot.)
Based on Wikipedia, I gather that the 'root statement' of Sikhism is the Mul Mantra which roughly translates as "There is one God, truth by name, the creator, without fear, without hate, timeless in form, beyond birth, self existent, (known by) the grace of the Guru."
Similar to the commencement of the recitation, the ending is also full of rituals.

We next wondered about the traditional musical instruments present there, and again the priests obliged us with a short stanza from their hymns.
The hymn was about the unity of all of humanity.  The priests also answered the children's questions about Sikhs and their culture.

After thanking the priests for their indulgence and assistance, we took our leave.  But before leaving, there's time for a group photo.
My utmost thanks to Fahmi Reza and the Chow Kit Kita project children for allowing me to share their walk-about with them.







No comments: