Welcome to my Kuala Lumpur

This is my way of sharing my discoveries, re-discoveries, memories & experiences

as well as other bits & pieces of information I have of

growing up in Kuala Lumpur.

Your comments & suggestions to make this blog your reference to all things KL would be very much appreciated.

Search This Blog

Friday, February 13, 2009

Little India

Let's visit the Masjid India area. The name is derived from the masjid located in the area. Apparently Jalan Masjid India was formally Dickson Road.

I'm not sure of the above information as I don't recall Dickson Road. By the way, the same source says that Broadrick Road was the former name of Jalan Raja Laut. Broadrick Road was that strech of Jalan Sultan Ismail from it's junction with Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman up to Jalan Raja Laut and beyond. I should know, I used to stay at 18D Broadrick Road until 1973.
We'll go in through Jalan Melayu from Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman.

This is one of the establishments that I remember from the 1960's.

A restaurant from that era.

From operating from one shoplot they now occupy three. The original shoplot (the pink building in the earlier photo) is now where they prepare their Indian sweets.

A display of the Indian sweets and tit-bits available at Jai Hind.

They also sell 'paan' - areca nut, lime and other aromatic spices wrapped in a betel leaf.

The chewing of betel leaf is said to be carcinogenic, causing cancer of the mouth, pharynx, oesophagus and stomach althought I'm not sure that it has been scientifically proven.

The entrance to the covered Jalan Masjid India street peddlers area.

The covered walk-way along Jalan Melayu.

Sometimes I wonder, what purpose the covering is for. It doesn't really offer any protection from sun or rain. Anyway, peddlers take up most of the space and pedestrians have to walk on the road.

No comments: